Wednesday, January 3, 2018

#mustreadin2018


                                           


Happy 2018! Last year I had 40 books on my list and I completed 26 of them. I’m not counting the books I started and didn’t finish because there were a few I couldn’t force myself to keep reading! While I didn’t finish the list, I’m certain I read well over 50 titles. I am always coming across new books and authors I hadn’t planned on reading (Barnes and Noble shelf browsing is awesome). Besides the titles below, I have a few overall goals for reading this year. I want to read more early chapter books. My youngest students love to read, and I want to have a healthy selection for them. Also, my weakness is boy fantasy books. Outside of The Lightning Thief, I just DON’T LIKE THEM! My male students love The Warrior series and I have tried to like it, I promise I have! I can’t get through it. Regardless of my personal preference, I need to know what’s popular so I can keep that section of the library growing for fantasy genre lovers. My last goal is to try and stay away from sad books. No more death, illness, divorce, severe bullying, depression or tragic accidents. No more books about losing parents, siblings and best friends. I know these are all important topics, but I feel like I was inundated with them last year. I am convinced that I can find great stories that are positive. I know every tale needs a conflict but maybe the problems can be more minor.  I would rather my students get lost in a world of magic, mystery or silly fun instead of adding to their worries. Hopefully my 27 choices for this year will keep all of us smiling!

Supergifted by [Korman, Gordon]The Game Masters of Garden Place by [Markell, Denis]The Last Grand Adventure by [Behrens, Rebecca]Winterhouse by [Guterson, Ben]Granted by [Anderson, John David]The Wild Robot Escapes by [Brown, Peter]The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society) by [Gidwitz, Adam]Snow Lane by [Angelini, Josie]Lucy Castor Finds Her Sparkle by [Lowe, Natasha]Fenway and Hattie by [Coe, Victoria J.]You Throw Like a Girl (mix)Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi QueenIvyThe Ember Stone: A Branches Book (The Last Firehawk #1)The House That Lou BuiltFront DeskLions & LiarsBobMaggie & Abby's Neverending Pillow FortSamantha Spinner and the Super-Secret PlansSparrow RoadI Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two LivesEllie, EngineerGreetings from Witness Protection!

1 comment:

  1. The Wild Robot Escapes is a title that almost made my list. My class is loving The Wild Robot as a read aloud! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete