Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Worst Class Trip Ever


Before I was a librarian, I was a middle school English teacher. For my first lesson, on my first day of teaching my very first class, we examined  Dave Barry's article Memories of Dating. It was such a hilariously funny story that I still remember my students roaring with laughter. My new teacher nerves vanished instantly, and ever since I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Barry's work. I've been really anxious to read The Worst Class Trip Ever and it did not disappoint. Though not quite as entertaining as his books for adults, it was still funny, and I think middle school students will love it.

It tells the story of Wyatt and his pals who unwittingly uncover a terrorist plot while they are on a school field trip in Washington DC. Rather than calling the police, Wyatt and his fellow eighth grade friends take matters into their own hands to stop the bad guys. Of course their wacky plans go wrong, in every possible way, but they still manage to save the day.

This is a very fast read that would be great for a reluctant reader. I really think boys (grades 5  up) would love it. The plot is predictable but fun, and it would probably be a welcome break from school assigned reading. The best part about it is that it's totally light and clean! There are no swear words, inappropriate dialogue, or dark heavy themes (which is hard to find these days). Also, it's told through the voice of an eighth grade boy and feels very authentic. I will certainly purchase this for my library, and I predict it will fly off the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment